- Exhibition: I just want to walk the stage! This category skips prejudging and is not considered for prizes. Purchased costumes may participate in this category.
- Kids/Youth (0-14 years old)
- Family/Group (all ages)
- Adult Beginner (15 & up): I have made/modified at least 50% of my costume (see rules) and want my craftsmanship to be judged.
- Adult Advanced: I have made/modified 80% of my costume (see rules) and want my craftsmanship to be judged.
- You will be assigned a time slot at pre-registration on Saturday. Please show up to assure that we can judge everyone in a timely manner to reduce wait times.
- You must report to the Buckingham Room on the 3rd floor before or during your time slot to complete the entry process; if you do not appear, you will be disqualified.
- This is an open genre costume contest, meaning that there are no restrictions regarding the source material of a cosplay as long as it conforms to all other rules.
- Costumes must be family friendly (PG-13).
- Lifestyle clothing is not considered a costume for this contest.
- No costume (oneself) is not a costume.
- All entries are strongly encouraged to bring reference material. Not all judges may be familiar with your character.
- Cosplays being entered in the EXHIBITION, KIDS/YOUTH, and FAMILY/GROUP categories can be store-bought, commissioned, or made.
***Cosplays being entered in the ADULT and ADVANCED categories must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Made/modified by the
- Modifications will be assessed by our judges and must be at least 50% modified from the original piece.
- Commissioned costumes may only be entered if the creator is present.
- Store bought costumes are NOT allowed.
- The following items are allowed to be purchased: wigs, belts, shoes, jewelry, accessories, and props. Other items may be allowed at the judges’ discretion.
***Contestants in the ADVANCED category must follow the same requirements as the ADULT category, but must have made/modified 80% of their costume.
- One costume entry per person.
- The judges reserve the right to move a contestant into the ADVANCED category at their discretion.
- A parent/guardian may accompany all contestants in the KIDS/YOUTH categories
(14 and under) for both the pre-judging and the contest presentation.
- Contestants may not enter a costume that has won a major award from any other convention. If you have a question about exceptions to this rules, please contact us.
- All costumes must abide by the rules of the Magic City Con cosplay and weapons policies. If a policy violation is discovered, that entry will be disqualified.
- All contestants MUST submit an entry form. A valid convention badge is required.
- Special stage requests will be considered but cannot be guaranteed. Requests should be submitted in writing with entry form.
***ALL Contest entries after 12:00pm will be placed in the EXHIBITION category.
- Judging time slots are assigned on a first come, first served basis.
- Contestants must appear in full costume at pre-judging or be disqualified.
- The following winners will be selected:
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be awarded for the KIDS/YOUTH, ADULT, and ADVANCED categories.
- One winner each will be selected for FAMILY, GROUP, BEST PROP, and JUDGES’ CHOICE.
- All decisions made by the judges are final. All prizes will be awarded at the end of the contest.
***Any prize not claimed by the conclusion of MCC will be forfeited!
- Failure to obey the rules of this contest or MCC will result in the contestant’s removal from participation at the discretion of NACC leadership and/or convention staff.
Magic City Con would like to thank the North Alabama Cosplayers Club for their planning and sponsorship of the Cosplay Contest through their volunteer efforts. We are so grateful to this amazing organization for not only their hard work, but the level of professionalism that they bring to our Cosplay Contest as well as other Cosplay events each year!
1. Magic City Con is a family-friendly convention. Please use common sense, be considerate of other attendees, and be aware of your surroundings.
2. Cover your body parts. "No costume" is not a costume. "Paint" and/or "pasties" are not a costume either. No intentional or unintentional "wardrobe malfunctions" are allowed. Please make sure your costume is sturdily constructed. This includes proper undergarments. If your costume is deemed to be too revealing or offensive, you will be asked to cover up or change.
3. Protective footwear is highly recommended, but not required.
4. All military, law enforcement, and other emergency service costumes should be easily distinguishable from official uniforms.
5. Hate symbols, even historical hate symbols like swastikas, will not be tolerated.
6. Roller blades, roller skates, and skateboards will not be allowed in the event center spaces.
7. Stilts are allowed, as long as you are wearing them.
8. No signs offering services or making requests to be hugged or touched. We want everyone to feel comfortable.
9. Per Galleria Mall Rules, MASKS COVERING YOUR FACE AND WEAPONS ARE NOT TO BE WORN IN THE MALL. Please keep this in mind when visiting the food court or shops inside the Galleria or when traveling from any of the parking locations to the convention floor throughout the weekend.
10. There will be a Cosplay Coat Check as well as a Cosplay First Aid location on-site. Please utilize these FREE services throughout the convention weekend, and especially for your masks/weapons when visiting the interior of the mall.
If you have any questions about your specific cosplay, please contact Jamie Phelps at: email@example.com.
No functional weapons are allowed at Magic City Con.
*All costume weapons must be inspected at the Weapons Check on the first floor of the Atrium before entering the Convention floor.
*All costume weapons must conform to state and federal law.
*Projectile costume weapons must be rendered inoperable.
*Functional (real) arrows must have their tips removed and be bundled and zip tied to a quiver.
*Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they can't be drawn.
*After your costume weapons have been checked, they will be tagged by security, and you will be given a wristband to wear to designate that your weapons have been checked.
*Security will escort you to the Weapons Check for inspection if your costume weapon is not checked.
Bring your costumes, accessories, and cosplay items collecting dust and trade them for something that is new to you!
Friday - 12:00pm-4:00pm (Drop Off); 6:00pm-8:00pm (Drop Off and Trading)
Saturday – 10:00am-2:00pm and 4:00pm-8:00pm (Drop Off and Trading)
Sunday – 10:00am-5:00pm (Drop Off, Trading, and Pick-Ups)
***Please see the Event Floor Map (distributed at the Con) for the MCC Cosplay Closet location!
We will accept the following:
• We will take clean costumes and costume pieces.
• Please package wigs (ziplock bags are fine).
• Unopened makeup, body paint, colored hair spray, and cleaned prosthetics.
• Props, crafting materials, patterns, and fabric which is not loose. Fabric needs to have been separated and labeled with measurements (rubber banded or ziplock bagged pieces are fine).
Please label your items! This will help us get them back to you on Sunday if you have not made an equal trade or are willing to donate them to the Costume Closet! We hope this will give everyone the opportunity to get out with the old and try something new or perhaps find something you didn’t even know you needed!
Our Cosplay Coat Check is for all of our Cosplayers! Have a weapon or an item of your costuming you don't want to carry around all day? Don't want to worry about coming straight from work and changing in the parking lot? Don't want to leave your make-up bag or heat sensitive items in your car all day in the summer heat? Then our Cosplay Coat Check is for you! Cosplay Coat Check is a secure room where you can check your items and continue on with your Con adventures worry free! There will also be a separate changing room available for those not staying in the hotel that need a place to get changed. You may check your items in and out as many times as needed.
*There is no fee for this service!
June 18 - 20, 2021
The Hyatt Regency Birmingham - Wynfrey Hotel
Friday: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
Saturday: 10:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Friday: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
Saturday: 10:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
(Ages 6 - 11)
*Military Discounted Passes Available!
We also have the following Groups available to join on Facebook:
Official Magic City Con click here!
Star Wars @Magic City Con click here!
Bioware @ Magic City Con: Bham click here!